Work Shift: DAY
The Surgical Technician II demonstrates proficient knowledge and skills necessary to carry out delegated tasks associated with the safe and efficient operating room support functions and related procedures. Records data established by policy and procedure and reports observations and patient problems to the licensed nurse. The Surgical Tech II is responsible for assigned non-nursing functions and practices relationship centered care in concert with the Methodist Values.
PATIENT AGE GROUP SERVED
Varies- patient age group defined by each clinical area
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Gathers all instruments and supplies for each assigned procedure and ensures that the set-up and equipment is ready before surgeon scrubs. (EF)
2. Employs working knowledge of surgical technician role in the provision of surgical assistance during a variety of surgical procedures and surgical specialties.
3. Responsible for consistently demonstrating knowledge of instrument sets and proficient in the knowledge of surgical supplies. (EF)
4. Consistently performs appropriate skills of sterile technique.
5. Performs duties of decontamination and use of autoclave equipment. Assists with the care of instruments, equipment, and supplies following surgery. (EF)
6. Assists the circulating RN with the sponge, instrument, needle and other surgical counts. (EF)
7. Anticipates the needs of the surgeon and nursing staff to support patient during procedures. (EF)
8. Performs duties and responsibilities in the role of preceptor. (EF)
9. Maintains and accurately processes and updates surgeon preference cards. (EF).
10. Participants in restocking of supplies. (EF)
11. Organizes the work flow, problem-solves, and manages multiple ongoing priorities with minimal supervision
12. Demonstrates the components of the I CARE values statement (Integrity, Compassion, Accountability, Respect, Excellence).
13. Demonstrates the Service Pride standards (smiles and makes eye contact; greets each patient and visitor; seeks out patient and visitor contact; displays appropriate body language at all times; takes 5 minutes each day to go to above and beyond for one patient or visitor; honors diversity; thanks every customer).
14. Follows all safety rules while on the job. Reports all accidents promptly and corrects minor safety hazards. Communicates with peers and management regarding any hazards identified in the work place.
15. Performs other duties as assigned.
High school diploma or GED required
Successful completion of an accredited OR Technician program or equivalency required
18 months of experience as a Surgical Technician required
Mastery in a minimum of one or more service lines.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
Must be certified by the Surgical Technologist Association or meet the grandfather clause.
Grandfather clause: The bill includes an extensive grandfather clause exempting all individuals employed to practice surgical technology in a health care facility before Sept. 1, 2009. The clarification notes that legislation does not state employed \"on\" Sept. 1, 2009, but rather \"before that date. A surgical technologist who was employed before Sept. 1, 2009, may remain employed as a surgical technologist without meeting the certification requirement.
American Heart Association BLS required.
SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
Must pass and demonstrate skills and competency upon clinical orientation to the unit.
Must be able to write and speak effectively in English.
Knowledge of Medical terminology required
Equal Employment Opportunity
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor priority referral Protected Veterans requested.
Since its founding in 1919, Houston Methodist Hospital has earned worldwide recognition. Houston Methodist Hospital is affiliated with the Weill Medical College of Cornell University and New York-Presbyterian Hospital, one of the nation's leading centers for medical education and research. Houston Methodist is consistently ranked in U.S. News & World Report's \"Best Hospital\" list and was recently named the number one hospital in Texas. FORTUNE magazine has placed Houston Methodist on its annual list of \"100 Best Companies To Work For\" since 2006. Houston Methodist Hospital directs millions of research dollars into patient care and offers the latest innovations in medical, surgical and diagnostic techniques. With 1,119 licensed beds, 67 operating rooms and over 6,000 employees, Houston Methodist offers complete care for patients from around the world.
Associated topics: laboratory, mlt, molecular, pathology, sample collection, scientist, technician i, technician ii, technician lab, toxicology