Marriott International is the worlds largest hotel company, with more brands, more hotels and more opportunities for associates to grow and succeed. We believe a great career is a journey of discovery and exploration. So, we ask, where will your journey take you?
As a member of the Consumer PR team, theSenior Manager, Public Relations -- Experiential, Content and Marketing Innovation
will generate awareness among Next Gen travelers and industry influencers through visible targeted media placements, speaking opportunities and award submnissions in key global markets. In addition, the position is responsible forsupporting and executing consumer public relations strategies through a variety of vehicles that yield image-building exposure across the companys Brand, Marketing, Sales and Consumer Services (BMSC) department and its innovative approach toward marketing, digital and mobile platforms, content, consumer research and food and beveragethat helps elevate awareness and perception among consumers influencers and the travel industry. Working withthe Director, Public Relations Innovation, Partnerships, and Marketing Strategy, this role executes proactive PR campaigns resulting in quality media placements in global target markets for the BMSC portfolio.This role partners with counterparts on throughout the BMSC to engage media, influencers and travelers by ongoing, authentic communication that to drive preference for Marriott. Additionally, this position collaborates with the Director to execute a thought leadership program for executives within BMSC.
Education and Experience Preferred
- 4-year degree from an accredited university inpublic relations, communications, international studies, social sciences, journalism, marketing, business administration, or related major
- 6 years of relevant professional experience inpublic relations, media, marketing, business administration, or related function, demonstrating progressive career growth and pattern of exceptional performance.
- Demonstrated knowledge of consumer media, established network of media contacts particularly in travel, lifestyle, entertainment, sports, food and fashion
- Excellent writing skills required, demonstrating creativity, ability to communicate complex issues and requiring minimal editing
- Proficient in social media and relationships with cultural influencers
- Experience with high-profile events and personalities
- Experience with managing and partnering with PR agencies
- Experience working within matrixed global teams
- International experience a plus
CORE WORK ACTIVITIES
Implements PR plans, Campaigns and Events
- Implements media/blogger relations programs targeted to a variety of media, including trade, consumer travel, sports, technology, culinary and lifestyle, as well as national outlets.
- Conducts media/blogger outreach to major consumer, business and trade outlets, as well as blogs, television and radio, to generate consumer awareness on behalf of assigned BMSC clients.
- Develops various press materials, including press releases, pitches and speeches/talking points, which can be used across a wide variety of media outlets including digital and social to drive engagement with target consumers.
PR Management & Execution:
- Working as part if an integrated CPR team, activates and implements consumer public relations plans.
- Delivers excellent writing, message development, and media training for spokespeople.
- Represents BMSC client programs during webinars, meetings and other organizational activities to various disciplines and groups throughout Marriott, as well as externally.
- Develops integrated public relations tools (e.g., briefing documents, PR toolkits) for field use that support and elevate the level of public relations activity.
- Manages PR agency relationships as necessary to ensure the success and alignment of all initiatives.
- Works cross-functionally with internal disciplines (e.g., social media) and departments and teams outside of the BMSC including Operations, Law and Finance to enhance, develop and maintain PR programs and strategies.
- Creates reports for presentation to stakeholders.
- Provides public relations support and input at major regional, market, or brand meetings.
- Collaborates with the Global Communications & Public Affairs team members in developing ongoing internal publicity for assigned areas.
- Independently responds to, solves and makes decisions on PR programs and initiatives for the assigned areas.
- Manages program budgets and scopes for PR initiatives.
- Executes various PR initiatives and programs for BMSC, and collaborates with team members in support of these efforts.
- Manages PR for events, such as press conferences, off-property events, conferences and media tours.
- Acts as PR representative and spokesperson for the assigned areas both internally and at external events.
- Manages domestic and international market pull-through on assigned initiatives, news and messaging.
- Partners with Global Communications and Public Affairs to increase awareness for of client initiatives internally, manage internal events, and work with internal stakeholders and their various communication channels.
- Identifies appropriate speaking opportunities and award submissions to elevate the profile of the BMSC organization and its leaders
- Drafts related written materials including briefing documents, speeches, message points, Q&A and award submissions
- Preps clients for speaking opportunities
- Conducts media relations for speaking opportunities and awards won
Delivering on the Needs of Key Stakeholders
- Understands and meets the needs of key stakeholders.
- Develops specific goals and plans to prioritize, organize, and accomplish work.
- Determines priorities, schedules, plans and necessary resources to ensure completion of any projects on schedule.
- Collaborates with internal partners and stakeholders to support business/initiative strategies.
- Communicates concepts in a clear and persuasive manner that is easy to understand.
- Generates and provides accurate and timely results.
- Demonstrates an understanding of business priorities.
- Develops strong working relationships with key stakeholders.
Providing PR Support and Consultation
- Provides PR expertise and leadership within own and extended teams.
- Manages PR agency hiring, management and budgeting.
- Provides recommendations to improve the effectiveness of PR processes and programs.
- Maintains and develops media relationships that move beyond existing levels within the company.
- Demonstrates news first mind-set; able to create stories and content surrounding brands that is culturally newsworthy
- Builds credibility with others and encourages strong working relationships.
- Creates a work environment in which others feel comfortable sharing thoughts and feedback.
- Shows awareness of how own behavior impacts others and the work environment.
- Encourages others to work together.
- Models and empowers others to anticipate and respond to customer/stakeholder preferences and feedback.
- Clearly explains policies in ways that create strong customer/stakeholder relationships.
- Monitors customer/stakeholder satisfaction and takes appropriate action.
- Resolves customer/stakeholder issues and concerns raised by others.
- Creates an environment where everyone is valued and included.
- Models and coaches others on representing the Company culture of service, opportunity, respect, and fair treatment.
- Acts when others are treated unfairly or are not valued and respected for their unique skills.
- Looks for and uses ideas and opinions from diverse sources.
- Attracts, develops, and retains a multicultural and multigenerational workforce.
- Gives all associates the opportunity to achieve their full potential.
- Organizes activities that promote inclusion.
- Maintains an awareness of changing customer/stakeholder and associate characteristics.
Generating Talent and Organizational Capability
- Ensures the work is organized so it can be effectively completed.
- Continuously improves work processes.
- Brings together the appropriate mix of associate knowledge and skills to complete work.
- Coaches others on scope of technical decision?making authority.
- Uses meetings and other forums to regularly communicate status of work.
- Provides, seeks, and acts on constructive feedback.
- Participates in the hiring process and ensures successful on?boarding of new associates.
- Models flexibility when managing multiple demands and changing priorities.
- Adjusts team and own priorities when experiencing change or challenges.
- Determines how change impacts stakeholders and communicates concerns to leadership.
Communication and Professional Demeanor
- Clearly presents complex information using different methods.
- Adapts communication style based on the audience.
- Demonstrates active listening to ensure understanding.
- Models and coaches others on appropriately interpreting verbal and non?verbal behavior.
- Models and coaches others on displaying professionalism and gaining respect from others.
Problem Solving and Decision Making
- Identifies issues and makes suggestions to solve complex problems affecting daily work.
- Looks for and shares information with others before making a decision.
- Involves and gains agreement from others when making key decisions.
- Makes complex decisions and works with others to implement solutions in reasonable amount of time.
Learning and Applying Professional Expertise
- Sets own career goals and identifies developmental areas for self and others.
- Uses resources and challenging assignments to improve performance of self and others.
- Gathers, shares, and uses information about industry and discipline trends and best practices.
- Proactively requests training to support associate development, as applicable.
- Shows an understanding of how different customer/stakeholder groups have different objectives.
- Identifies innovative ways to improve, productivity, customer/stakeholder satisfaction, and profitability.
- Maintains advanced technical knowledge and skills and models their use for others.
- Demonstrates and shares expertise in policies, procedures, and legal requirements.
- Identifies innovative technical approaches and communicates how they can improve processes or business functioning.
Building and Contributing to Teams
- Promotes teamwork by explaining how each associate supports shared goals.
- Builds commitment to team goals by explaining how they support department success.
- Works with team members to solve issues and make decisions that impact them.
- Manages disagreements among team members.
- Recognizes department, team, and individual achievements.
Driving for Results
- Creates a team environment that encourages accountability, high standards, and innovation.
- Sets and tracks goal progress for self.
- Breaks down barriers so team members can accomplish their work.
Planning and Organizing
- Prioritizes activities based on importance, urgency, and impact to goals.
- Is detail oriented.
- Clearly communicates key objectives, milestones and deadlines to others.