NYU Langone Health is a world-class, patient-centered, integrated academic medical center, known for its excellence in clinical care, research, and education. It comprises more than 200 locations throughout the New York area, including five inpatient locations, a children's hospital, three emergency rooms and a level 1 trauma center. Also part of NYU Langone Health is the Laura and Isaac Perlmutter Cancer Center, a National Cancer Institute designated cancer center, and NYU School of Medicine, which since 1841 has trained thousands of physicians and scientists who have helped to shape the course of medical history. For more information, go to nyulangone.org, and interact with us on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Instagram.
We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as a Departmental Secretary.
In this role, the successful candidate is responsible for providing administrative support and assists supervisor and professional staff indepartmental office support, requested projects, and external communication. Transcription of results for final reports. Skill in prioritizing assignments and multi-tasking to complete work in a timely manner. Skill in working independently and in following through on assignments with minimal direction.
- Other requests: Completes other office support requests as necessary; ex. completing slide searches, put in request for facilities/IT tickets, completing errands/tasks as directed by supervisor.
- Assists MDs with placing and transferring phone calls, sending faxes and mail communications, typing correspondence, redistributing slides in mailbox if MD is away, and any other reasonable administrative requests.
- Manages epic in-basket as directed by supervisor.
- Sends out materials as requested by supervisor; ex. consultation packages, supplies/fixatives to outside labs, etc. Schedule messenger pickups. Distributes general fax queue appropriately. Drops off packages.
- Maintains conference & microscope room calendars.
- Scanning/Filing: Batch scanning as necessary. Slide filing as necessary. Receives and packs slides. Performs QC check of scans/requisitions.
- Receives and puts away office supplies. Keeps inventory of requested supplies. Orders supplies as necessary in the department.
- Follows up on each test sent out to ensure results have been received and entered into Tamtron. Ensures that insurance is submitted on applicable send out tests; follows up on pending insurance questions.
- Outside Testing: Processes send outs for testing to be done at outside laboratories as needed.
- Legal/Restricted: Triaging legal requests that come into the department from NYS legal/risk departments. Processes legal correspondence to law firms, courts per subpoenas, etc. Notifies department management, administration and chair if there are any issues that require attention. Keeps restricted files organized and maintains the electronic legal file accurately. Release of malfunction device and foreign material.
- Merging: Merges possible duplicates in Tamron according to protocol on a daily basis.
- Previous Case Request: Requesting previous cases (slides and/or reports) from outside offices when requested by MD. Ex, Cancer center, FGP practices, outside facilities etc. Processes request, scans reports, and submits slides to requesting pathologist.
- Consult reconciliation/External Report: Calls outside institutions to obtain report and slides sent out for consult/second opinion. Tracks/Scans communication in departmental file and Tamron. Hands off of slides to the slide room for filing. Sends letters requesting material to be returned as per policy. Transcribes outside report once received and sends the report to the responsible pathologist.
- External Consultation Slide Packaging and Return: Completes correspondence as needed for MD. Packages external consultation slides into appropriate slide packaging to return to outside institution for consult or for consult return once MD report is completed. Processes UPS label order. Documents the tracking event in Omni-Trax/Tamtron.
- Patient Slide requests: Processes all patient slide requests. Receives approvals as necessary from appropriate pathologist and/or management. Ensures paperwork is complete, scanned into powerpath, and tracked out according to protocol. Follow-up on pending slide requests internally and externally. Meets with patients who are picking up slides.
- Transcription: Including but not limited to: Addendum transcription, Consult transcription, previous case reports, outside result reports for testing done externally.
- Phones: Answers and properly triages all phones call for the department. Takes messages as needed and relays them to the appropriate individual.
- Graduate of a business/secretarial school or equivalent combination of academic and experience background
- Minimum of four years of responsible secretarial experience required
- Typing (60 WPM) and Proficient in Microsoft Application Skills required
- Knowledge of medical terminology
- BA degree
- 2 or more years of secretarial experience
- Extensive knowledge of medical terminology
- At least 6 months prior transcription experience
Qualified candidates must be able to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.
NYU Langone Health provides its staff with far more than just a place to work. Rather, we are an institution you can be proud of, an institution where you'll feel good about devoting your time and your talents.
NYU Langone Health is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender dysphoria, national origin, age, religion, disability, military and veteran status, marital or parental status, citizenship status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision. We require applications to be completed online.
If you wish to view NYU Langone Health's EEO policies, please click here. Please click here to view the Federal "EEO is the law" poster or visit https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/ofccpost.htm for more information. To view the Pay Transparency Notice, please click here.
Is responsible for providing administrative support and assists supervisor and professional staff indepartmental office support, requested projects, and external communication. Transcription of results for final reports. Skill in prioritizing assignments and multi-tasking to complete work in a timely manner. Skill in working independently and in following through on assignments with minimal direction.
Graduate of a business/secretarial school of equivalent combination of academic and experience background. Minimum of four years of responsible secretarial experience required. Typing (60 WPM) and Proficient in Microsoft Application Skills required. Knowledge of medical terminology.