Are you a motivated, analytical thinker with a penchant for calculating equations and is interested in bringing home the BACON?\\u201d Then you should join us in growing one of America s top 25 consumer packaged goods companies, Smithfield Foods!
The Finance/Accounting team is seeking out driven, detail-oriented professionals to exercise GAAP principles while preserving the superior financial standing of our $15B company. These personnel examine data for accurate pricing in Customer Finance, reconcile/manage invoices as an Accounting Coordinator, or scrutinize the company s state/federal income tax data in Corporate Tax.
The Senior Staff Accountant is responsible for general ledger work, account reconciliations, month-end close processes, financial reporting and financial statement analytics. This position requires a solid understanding of the fundamentals and principles of accounting, experience with SAP and various software tools used in the department, and the ability to handle most regular issues independently. Data/information accuracy and timeliness is critical in this position. This position involves problem solving on a daily basis and is expected to continually review system and process design for improvement opportunities. Responsibilities
- Performs accounting and internal control responsibilities in accordance with GAAP, SOX 404 and company policy.
- Provides general ledger support and reporting for the core business as well as joint ventures, partnerships, LLCs, etc. as applicable. This includes analyzing data, coordinating activities, implementing process improvements and working with personnel in other departments.
- Provides accounting support for new acquisitions and system conversions. This includes reviewing, interpreting and converting financial data as well as process definition and documentation.
- Performs account reconciliations for assigned general ledger accounts, including bank reconciliations, and makes appropriate adjusting or correcting entries.
- Prepares general ledger entries by retrieving and maintaining supporting records, performing calculations and analysis and reconciling accounts.
- Reviews the general ledger and financial reports on a timely basis for accuracy and completeness.
- Implements system checks/variants to help identify and correct errors before the general ledger is closed.
- Prepares timely and accurate comparative management reports and promptly addresses ad-hoc requests. Becomes an expert in reporting software and builds needed layouts/templates.
- Prepares BPC journal entries as needed and prepares and publishes BPC financial statements (balance sheet, income statement & cash flow statement).
- Participates in SG&A report preparation, research and analysis for flux commentary and distribution to Senior Management as assigned.
- Prepares variance analysis and responds to inquiries about SG&A spend. Coordinates periodic meetings with department managers to review expenses and address questions.
- Supports quarterly, semi-annual and annual audit, tax and reporting/information requests. These activities require solid knowledge of the financial statements and underlying accounts.
- Cross train with other Corporate Accounting personnel, as assigned.
- Answers accounting and financial questions by researching and interpreting data.
- Develops and implements accounting procedures by analyzing existing procedures and recommending changes. Reviews and updates business process narratives as necessary.
- Initiates and manages process improvements for Corporate Accounting.
- Administers and/or utilizes task management, account reconciliation and journal entry approval software.
- Complete project work as needed.
- Participates in blueprinting, testing, system training, data conversion and post go-live financial analysis. Skilled to lead the implementation effort for various accounting tools and software projects.
- Supplies financial information and analysis for internal and external audit inquiries. A solid understanding of the data is required to ensure complete and accurate responses.
- Grows knowledge and develops skills by pursuing educational opportunities, reading professional publications, participating in professional organizations and maintaining personal networks.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. May perform other duties as assigned.Qualifications
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor s Degree (B.A.) from a regionally accredited four-year college or university in Accounting or related field and 5+ years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience, required.
- Master's Degree or CPA, preferred.
- Thorough knowledge of financial and business principles, including GAAP, and ability to grasp company financial policies and protocols.
- Strong experience with general ledger, account reconciliation and analysis.
- Knowledge of SAP ERP software and BPC software.
- Highly proficient with Microsoft Excel and proficient with other Microsoft Office tools.
- Strong decision-making, analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Solid math skills.
- Strong multi-tasking, prioritization and organizational skills.
- High degree of accuracy and detail-oriented.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Displays professionalism and integrity.
- Proactive and solution-oriented with the ability to think creatively.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work in a team environment as well as independently.
- Self-motivated and capable of working with minimal supervision.
- Comfortable in a fast paced, dynamic environment, where tasks and priorities are rapidly changing.
- Ability to be respectful, approachable and team oriented while building strong working relationships and a positive work environment.
- May travel 5-10% of the time based upon project need.
- This position does not have direct supervisory responsibilities; however, it may act as a lead by providing training and guidance to other accounting functions or other accounting positions within the General/Corporate accounting team. This position is a \\'go-to\\' resource within the organization to help address questions and explain processes.
Smithfield is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action (EEO/AA) Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with disability, or any other protected group status or non-job related characteristic as directed by law.